Sunday, January 28, 2024

 HAPPY BIRTHDAY EMMA & CORY!


Emma turned 20 this week, and I remember her as a beautiful baby who grew up to be a beautiful young woman.  We celebrated with breakfast at Cracker Barrell, and then she stopped by the house Saturday evening to pick up her birthday gift.  I am so happy she is close by and I love our visits so much 💖


Birthday Shoes











CORY celebrated her - I'm sure it was 30th - birthday this week! 😊  I have watched her grow up from a spunky teenager, to an amazing and beautiful wife, mom, daughter, teacher, friend, and the list could just keep on going . . .  She enjoyed a "me" day - some time alone to relax and focus on herself.  I vote we follow Cory's example and all of us take a "me" day for our birthdays this year.  Who doesn't need a day to slow down, catch your breath, and enjoy some quiet time?
















MONDAY MORNING BLUES . . . .   So I started my week off at Traffic Court and, I think I said this last week, but I will never speed again!  I felt terrible being there, I felt like a law-breaker (which I was), and never want to find myself in that position - ever!  I think one of the things I learned is that there is no reason to be in such a big hurry  - and especially - if I had organized my day better, I would have been able to leave on time and wouldn't have had to pay $265 (the judge did lower the fine) and lose 3 points. 






I DEFINITELY HAD A PROBLEM WITH TIME MANAGEMENT this week -
I really enjoy being at the Middle School on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but I found this past week, I filled my Mondays and Wednesdays with other appointments (like traffic court) and didn't set aside enough time for all of the reading that needed to be done for my class.  I got it all done, but I had to stay up late a couple of nights, which I have been trying hard not to do.  Also, the content and vocabulary are new to me, so I'm feeling a little overwhelmed.  
One of the things I did love this week, was reading a chapter in a book from President Oaks, titled, Reason and Revelation.  There were a couple of points that hit home - The first was the relationship between study and revelation should be sequential.  He gave an example of Oliver Cowdrey who attempted to translate part of the Book of Mormon.  After he failed the Lord told him this was because he "took no thought," but only asked God.  He should have studied it out in his mind and then asked if it was right.  Only after he applied himself to study and reason would the Lord affirm or deny the correctness of the proposed translation.  Study and reason can find the truth on many subjects, but only revelation can confirm it.  The second concept in our reading assignment was that in the sequential relationship between reason and revelation, it is important that reason has what we can call "the first word" and that revelation has the "last word."   So what does this have to do with time management?  I think I have been trying to reason and study, but have left out relying on revelation.  This week my goal is to study with a purpose, filter out those things that are important to know, focus on them, and then seek the revelation to confirm my understanding of the material.  I will keep you posted on the outcome 😊

SATURDAY WITH THE GRANDKIDS ~
Jake, Lily, and Hollie spent Saturday with us.  Samantha brought Paul down for a couple of hours before his soccer game, and Eilis and Emma came by in the evening.  That means I saw all of our grandchildren who live in the county (except for Ben) on Saturday.  The only thing that could have made the day better was to have Chicago and Iowa City here!!!  
We took Jake to get a haircut and he had no problem telling the beautician what he liked and didn't like.  I need to be more like him!  

He wanted Subway for lunch so we got him his favorite sandwich, which he came home and ate with Ji-Chan while the girls went to Noodles & Co.  

After lunch, we made a quick trip to Hobby Lobby, where Hollie found Herbert and Lily found a Palm Pal Shark which she named Marvin.

We came home and picked up Jake and went to Target where this was the first thing that caught my eye  -  Remember Buzz Lightyear? 😁. When Spencer was little he loved Buzz, so seeing this reminded me of Spencer and how cute he was - and still is! 




Looks like Adam likes Buzz too 😊












And it looks like Ji-Chan wanted to be Woody😁





No comments: